Identifying the causes of vessel accidents can be extremely complex and a successful resolution requires an objective assessment by a multi-disciplinary team.
The BMT Ship & Coastal Dynamics marine forensic investigation services provide a thorough insight into the processes and conditions behind an incident and how these could have resulted in damage, injury or loss. We also design preventative measures to avoid similar occurrences in future.
Our naval architects and metocean specialists are experts in evaluating accidents or safety situations requiring an in-depth knowledge of physics, hydraulics, metocean conditions and ship response behaviour. In addition, we use state-of-the-art in-house computer models and/or specify and evaluate scale model investigations to support or demonstrate our findings.
Through the BMT network, we can call upon the expertise of marine surveyors who are experienced in working with the international marine and insurance industry.
Our metocean weather reports and expert witness consultancy has been applied to incidents involving:
- Cargo loss or damage
- Collisions of ships with other ships or structures
- Accident investigations
- Accidents caused by ship generated waves or suction
- Vessel-induced damage to subsea assets
- Investigations in to proper sea keeping
Typical incidents we can help analyse include:
- Weather related incidents
- Manoeuvring: collisions, ramming, grounding, accidents with tugs, accidents caused by drifting of disabled ships, accidents due to equipment failure
- Mooring: breaking of mooring lines and chains, damage to ship and mooring equipment, accidents involving passing ships, large motions of moored ships (port or offshore) due to wind gusts or squalls
- Seakeeping: excessive motions of ships in seaway, contact with seabed due to vertical motions, loss of controllability in waves, loss of stability due to water ingress or nonlinear wave-ship interactions